UN is launching an investigation into alleged war crime in Gaza♬ original sound CanadaWithLove
Key points of the investigation are:
• The resolution calls for the creation of a "Commission of Inquiry" to report on rights violations in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.
• The commission will also investigate "underlying root causes" for recurring tensions in the region.
• The Human Rights Council ordered a probe into violations during the recent 11-day war, as well as abuses and their ‘root causes’ in the decades-long conflict.
• UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet voiced particular concern about the ‘high level of civilian fatalities and injuries’ from Israel’s attacks on Gaza.
• China and Russia supported the resolution while some Western and African countries voted against it.
• The resolution, which passed with 24 of the council’s 47 members in favor, will spur an unprecedented level of scrutiny on abuses and their “root causes” in the decades-long Middle East conflict.
• Israeli air strikes and artillery fire on Gaza killed 254 Palestinians, including 66 children, and wounded more than 1,900 people in 11 days of conflict, the health ministry in Gaza says.